Starting Your Own FunTeam Group
Thank you for expressing interest in starting your own FunTeam group in your community! The sky is the limit as to what you can bring your community when it comes to FunTeam. Are you thinking about a specific sport, a seasonal program, or offering year long opportunities with many different sports?
Whatever your plan is we can make it happen. We will work together to bring family oriented, less competitive, (and most importantly) a fun activity to your community.
What has to be understood that this is a big undertaking even if it is with the right intentions in mind. It is important to think about the following things when it comes to starting a FunTeam group:
- FunTeam requires $10 dollars for every participant. This covers every player under our 5 million dollar liability policy.
- Our goal is to keep costs as low as possible for participants. This allows more participants to be involved. So when you have to make decisions regarding the following points remember the cost involved.
- We do not collect any other fees collected outside of the $10 membership fee. All other fees are handled by the Group Manager or the assigned volunteers. Once collected, you can forward the membership fees via cheque or cash. We do not take e-transfers or online payment forms.
- Which sport are you playing? Are you going to be playing inside or outside? What is accessible over the course of a season? What’s the cost associated?
- Everyone always needs help. Make sure you have a strong team of willing parents or community members that are also in interested in everything FunTeam stands for. This isn’t and shouldn’t be a one person show.
- What roles are your volunteers going to fill? Do you need coaches, referees, assistants to help with registration and collecting fees?
- How many participants are you able to accommodate? What demographic is this group catering to? Most importantly no one should be left out.
- FunTeam does not provide equipment to our participants. Keep in mind what equipment your sport requires and what your participants require. How is the equipment getting to sessions?
- Any equipment purchases that serve to benefit the whole group (pucks, water bottles, balls, etc.) shoud look to be included in the fees for the year. FunTeam also offers an Equipment & Facility Grant for groups looking to cover some of their start-up costs.
- We do provide practice jerseys for purchase ($15).
- One of our principles is to make this a manageable time commitment for families. Once, maybe twice a week is exactly what a FunTeam schedule should look like.
- As we all know from living in Alberta, summer is too short, winter is too long, and it can be any season at any point during the year. Your schedule will have to cater to what availability your facility will give you, what sport you’re playing, weather, and what works best for your participants.